St Paul’s Girls' School was established in 1904 by the Worshipful Company of Mercers, choosing Brook Green in West London as the site. The Mercers’ Company are the trustees of the estate of the important humanist, John Colet, Dean of St Paul’s Cathedral, who founded St Paul’s School, the boys’ school over 500 years earlier. Gerald Horsley, the famous Queen Anne revival architect, was engaged and a beautiful purpose-built school constructed. Miss Frances Gray was appointed as head, and the school was opened by Mary, Princess of Wales and her husband, the future George V. From its earliest days, the school has offered its students a serious and scholarly education, eschewing traditional pursuits, such as cookery. Early illustrious Paulinas, as alumnae are known, include the physicist, Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin, the economist, Joan Harbord and Joan Beauchamp, the zoologist. Ten women have filled the role of High Mistress, most recently Mrs. Sarah Fletcher who took up the role in 2017.